Let’s face it. We all do it. It’s the one day where we get a free pass for eating absolutely rubbish in an attempt to hold the raging headache from previous night’s partying at bay. You feel weak, you feel sick and you want comfort food, fast! Here is an alternative to a standard Saturday run to your local Maccus; or if you don’t do the hangover thing, make my Faux Croque Monsieur instead of just the butter-on-toast ensemble. Remember, you want to cure hangover, not to count calories.
I call this the Faux Croque Madame, it’s “faux” because it is technically incorrect, but close enough when you want a good ham and cheese toastie. Still not convinced? It only takes 5 minutes to make and anyone can make this, guaranteed.
You will need:
- Bread slices of your choice
- A couple of Swiss cheese slices
- Ham off the bone slices- or any ham on hand
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Butter one side of each bread lightly, add mustard if you desire. Layer as many slices of cheese and ham as you can handle in between two slices of bread. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Butter your medium heated pan. Once the butter is melted, place your assembled sanwich in the pan. Turn over once it starts to brown on the bottom.
- Take your sandwich out and place a slice of cheese on top before placing it in the oven at the lower rack. Wait for 2 minutes or until cheese on top starts to brown.
- Grease your frying pan to fry a sunny side up.
- Remove your Faux Croque Madame from the oven, place your egg on top and enjoy it hot (thank me later)!
- Post it on Facebook and Instagram to brag about it.